T. O. Fuller State Park is off the beaten path, but the 1,138 wooded acres are within the city limits and only 10 minutes from Graceland and 20 minutes from Beale Street.
The park was the 1st State Park east of the MS River and the 2nd in the nation that was open to African-Americans. Built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1937, its construction was part of President F. D. Roosevelt’s efforts during the Great Depression to create jobs that fostered park and forest conservation and provided social services to people across America. Built on land purchased from Dover Barrett, the park was originally known as Shelby Bluffs. In 1942 its name was changed to T. O. Fuller State Park in honor of Dr. Thomas O. Fuller who spent his life empowering and educating African-Americans.
A good time for a visit - Saturday, August 7, from 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm, Friends of Fuller State Park is sponsoring Fuller Fest 2010, an afternoon full of family activities, including a golf tournament, gospel concert, and antique/classic car show. The swimming pool will be open with certified lifeguards. For more info., call 543-6041.