Lots of people left the February 28th League of Women’s Voters (LWV) public forum with serious questions about the RDC/City plan to dam up the harbor with a “landbridge.”
Among the concerns:
- What happens to boaters who now enjoy the harbor?
- What about industries now in the harbor? Will they relocate in Memphis? How many jobs are involved? Who pays for their relocation?
- The new 50+ acres of real estate that will be created on the dam for private development. How expensive will that land be?
- The drawings show massive buildings. What will be in them?
- As with the massive buildings proposed for the Public Promenade, what effect will all that development have on our current downtown?
- And what about the environmental issues of water quality in the lake - and flooding, drainage, and seepage issues that will result?
Last week the media began to look at some of these questions.Read more »